1[Manner of making permanent account number inoperative.
114AAA. (1) Where a person, who has been allotted the permanent account number as on the 1st day of July, 2017 and is required to intimate his Aadhaar number under sub-section (2) of section 139AA, has failed to intimate the same on or before the 31st day of March, 2, the permanent account number of such person shall become inoperative immediately after the said date for the purposes of furnishing, intimating or quoting under the Act.
(2) Where a person, whose permanent account number has become inoperative under sub-rule (1), is required to furnish, intimate or quote his permanent account number under the Act, it shall be deemed that he has not furnished, intimated or quoted the permanent account number, as the case may be, in accordance with the provisions of the Act, and he shall be liable for all the consequences under the Act for not furnishing, intimating or quoting the permanent account number:
3[Provided that the provisions of this sub-rule shall have effect from the date specified by the Board.]
(3) Where the person referred to in sub-rule (1) has intimated his Aadhaar number under sub-section (2) of section 139AA after the 31st day of March, 2[2022, after payment of fee in accordance with sub-rule (5A) of rule 114,] his permanent account number shall become operative from the date of intimation of Aadhaar number for the purposes of furnishing, intimating or quoting under the Act and provisions of sub-rule (2) shall not be applicable from such date of intimation.
(4) The Principal Director General of Income-tax (Systems) or Director General of Income-tax (Systems) shall specify the formats and standards along with the procedure for verifying the operational status of permanent account number under sub-rule (1) and sub-rule (2).]
1. Inserted by the Income-tax (Fifth Amendment) Rules, 2020, w.e.f. 13-2-2020.
2. Substituted for "2020" by the IT (Third Amendment) Rules, 2022, w.e.f. 1-4-2022.
3. Inserted by the IT (Third Amendment) Rules, 2022, w.e.f. 1-4-2022.