Search can be achieved effectively, if the users have the knowledge about the techniques to be used for search. The search tips are divided into three portions for the ease of the user:
- 1) Basic Search and selection of the Search Terms
- 2) Search Results
- 3) Advanced Search
- Basic Search and selection of the Search Terms
Search Box : You can find the search box on the upper right side of most pages on the website, i.e.,www.incometaxindia.gov.in . To search for a document type a few descriptive words in the search box and press the Enter key or click on the magnifying glass image.
A results page will appear with a list of documents and web pages that are related to the search term you are looking for, with the most relevant search results appearing at the top of the page. By default, only pages that include all of your search terms are returned.
- Phrase Search : Search for exact phrases by enclosing them in quotation marks. ("income under the head Salaries")
- Capitalization : The search functions performed at the website, i.e., www.incometaxindia.gov. are not case sensitive. All letters, regardless of how you enter them, are handled as lower case. For example, "income under the head Salaries," "INCOME UNDER THE HEAD SALARIES," and "Income Under The Head Salaries" will return the same results.
- Search Results
Search Results : By default, the list of search results is sorted out by relevance and each retrieved document includes a title and summary that shows you how each result is relevant to your search term. Search listing includes the URL or location of the document and date on which the content was issued (Wherever relevant, e.g., Circulars, Notifications etc.). The description displays in the listing page also highlights the searched text in yellow colour. Click on the title to open the page or file of your choice.
- Sorting Results : By default, search results are sorted out by relevance, with the most relevant result appearing at the top of the page.
- Refiningof Results :To refine the result groups like Acts, Rules,Forms, Circulars, Notifications & Instructions and DTAA etc., related to your search term are shown in boxes on the lefthand side of the page. Select single or multiple groups to refine your results.
- Advanced Searching
Find Results : The four search boxeson the Advanced Search page offer the same functionality as the Basic Search, but provide additional options for refining search and improving the relevance of search results. Using these fields, you can choose to limit your results to the content that includes or excludes words or phrases from the body or title. You may enter terms in more than one search box in combination of 'and' (to search in composition of two words) and 'or' (to search results which may have either of the searched term) to further narrow down your result set.
- Limit Search To : Use the dropdown to limit search results to a specific area of the website. For example, while searching for a Rule, select "Rule" from the dropdown, and only Rules matching your search term(s) appear in the search results. If you are searching for information relating to Form, select "Form" from the dropdown. You may further select the options such as "Exact" match, "Contains", etc.